Archie Battersbee: what happened to 12-year-old boy?

By 1TidBit  Published 6th August, 2022

Image Credit: Google

Image Credit: Google

The 12-year-old had been in a coma since he was found unconscious by his mother Hollie Dance in April and was being kept alive by a combination of medical interventions, including ventilation and drug treatments.

Image Credit: Google

The young boy was found with a ligature on his head, with his mum believing that he may have been trying to partake in an online challenge called the ‘Blackout Challenge’. Archie has not regained consciousness since the accident, and has remained in a coma since he was found.

Image Credit: Google

- When will Archie’s treatment end? It is understood that no changes will be made to Archie’s care while the legal processes are still ongoing. The hospital had originally planned to withdraw treatment on Monday (August 1) at 2pm.

Image Credit: Google

- What did the family friend say? Speaking to the PA news agency before the announcement of the Supreme Court’s decision was made, family friend Ella Carter said the family would prefer for Archie to be in a hospice if his treatment were to end.

Image Credit: Google

- What did the judge say? Mrs Justice Theis concluded it was not in Archie’s best interests to be moved to a hospice. The judge said: “Archie’s best interests must remain at the core of any conclusions reached by this court.

Image Credit: Google

- What did the doctors say? Doctors treating Archie at the Royal London Hospital in Whitechapel, east London, said they believed his life-support treatment should end. Royal London Hospital’s governing trust, Barts Health NHS Trust, which is providing Archie’s care, had asked the judge to make the decision.

Image Credit: Google

- What have Archie’s parents said? She said: "I don’t think I’m just fooling myself. I’m quite honest. "What I do know is as a mother my gut feeling tells me my little boy is in there and I will continue to fight for him."